2M Black – True to the Groove
The 2M Black is the flagship of the series and lives up to its claim with playful ease. The naked Shibata diamond provides the most direct contact with the groove like no other. Every last detail of your records is precisely reproduced across the entire sound spectrum. Exactly as the artist intended. The perfect choice for anyone who wants to really feel the artists' presence in the room when enjoying their records.
The Ortofon 2M Black features a naked Shibata diamond, whose slim, highly polished profile allows for a particularly wide contact area with the groove walls, ensuring an especially detailed reproduction of the entire spectrum, including high-frequency groove information. The 2M Black features a special, improved motor with split pole pins and silver-plated copper wire.
The 2M Black Premounted is designed for easy cartridge mounting, so its weight and size fit most turntables on the market. In addition, the 2M series offers excellent compatibility with a wide range of different hi-fi chains.
Sound image – with its outstanding resolution and transparency, the 2M Black offers a very large stage with all details across the entire frequency range. It delivers an extremely authentic music reproduction without any embellishment. It presents itself balanced and brilliant over the entire tonal range. Tight, deep bass with accurate transients as well as precise mids and highs are mastered by the 2M Black with refreshing ease.
- Bare Shibata diamond-cut stylus
- Split-pole technology
- Silver-plated copper coils
- Pre-installed on SH-4 Black headshell for direct attachment to bayonet connector
- Analytical, neutral reproduction of all fine details of the entire sound spectrum
- Tight bass, very large, realistic stage with precise localisation
- Compatible with most popular turntables
- Easy to upgrade via plug and play with Stylus Black LVB 250
Before use – to avoid losses in sound quality, cartridges must always be adjusted individually on the headshell according to the manufacturer's specifications of the turntable as well as the cartridge, and the tracking force must be set correctly.
Compatibility of the 2M stylus insertion
The motors, coils and magnet configurations of the 2M series are not identical on all models. The Red and Blue models are identical, as are the Bronze and Black. The 2M Silver follows its own configuration, while the true mono variants 2M Mono and 2M 78 are again identical to each other.
Technically, the following styluses of the 2M series are interchangeable in stereo application:
- Stylus 2M Red, 2M Blue, 2M Silver, 2M Bronze, 2M Black and 2M Black LVB 250.
Technically, the following 2M series barrels are interchangeable in mono applications:
- Stylus 2M Mono and 2M 78.
Compatibility with Rega TT/TA:
The height of Rega cartridges, from the tip of the stylus to the top of the cartridge, is lower than the standard height. Therefore, third party spacers are needed here to ensure correct mounting of the Ortofon cartridge.
The height of the Rega tonearm can be easily adjusted with additional spacers. They allow for individual height adjustment. To adjust the cartridge, simply loosen the screws, insert a suitable spacer and then tighten the screws again. After that the tonearm is ready to play.
3.2 - 4mm spacers should be sufficient for 2M cartridges.
- Cartridge type: MM (moving magnet)
- Output voltage: 5mV at 1000Hz, 5cm/sec
- Amplifier connection: Phono MM
- Channel balance at 1 kHz: 1dB
- Channel separation at 1kHz: 26dB
- Channel separation at 15kHz: 15dB
- Frequency response: 20-31.000Hz
- Frequency response: 20-20,000Hz +2/-0dB
- Cartridge at 315Hz: 80µm at recommended tracking force
- Stylus compliance: 22µm/mN
- Recommended tonearm type: light and medium
- Stylus grind: naked Shibata
- Radius of cartridge tip: r/R 6/50µm
- Tracking force range: 14-17mN (1.4-1.7g)
- Recommended tracking force: 15mN (1.5g)
- Scanning angle: 20 degrees
- Internal impedance, DC resistance: 1.2kOhm
- Internal inductance: 630mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance: 150-300pF
- Housing material: Lexan DMX
- Height: --
- Weight, cartridge system: 7.2g
- Cartridge colour, housing/stylus: black/black
- Replacement stylus: Stylus 2M Black
- Upgrade stylus: Stylus 2M Black LVB 250